THE FALL OF A LEGEND

Some where between the pain of getting lashes for stealing meat from the stew to the joy of getting big sweet toffees from "Goozie Goozies" (a shop adjacent Ghana Commercial Bank in Newtown back in the 90's), I became who I am today.
Wow... did I just say back in the 90's? How fast time flies. I can't help it but any time I remember you, I remember your melodious voice reciting the Quran to me at dawn. Do you remember when I was getting better, you got me that Adidas foot wear that never fit? I never forget that  day. You gave it to Ismail the next day. I felt bad because I loved the foot wear the minute I saw it. When we got home... You then told me...
"...Maher, never love material things for it will breed greed in you..."
I may not have understood it then but I do now more than ever.
You taught me everything a posse ad esse and I wish you would have stayed a little longer, if wishes were horses...
I guess it's true what they say about death. It leaves a heart ache no one can heal but love leaves memories no one can steal. A chip of the old block I may seem, if only I'm half the man you were.
You've shown me true love and what it meant to be a father ab incunabulis.
I'm not here to paint a perfect picture that we had everything we ever needed, no. We were not rich but contentment and patience was our hallmark. Even though my room doesn't leak when it rains, I still wake up every time it rains at night only to remember memories. 
You rewarded me when necessary and you never spared the rod. You laughed when necessary but never played when it came to business...yeah...I know right! I think that's where my sense of humour and seriousness evolved *blushes* I still eat your favourites. I sometimes sit by your chair and watched you learn. You inspired me to reach high... where I'm today is thanks to you more importantly, mom and some trusted few. You were a perfectionist; I guess that's why I was named Maher. I guess it's true what they say... the good...don't stay long...
Sunday 8th November, 2015. The day I'll never forget... I had a sleepless night the night before... I was restless... I couldn't explain why? Just as I fell asleep after Subh prayer...I woke up to a ton of missed calls... which I returned a few and was told to report back home asap. From the troubles of not getting a straight car from Bolgatanga to Accra because it was a sunday...to the endless tears from Tamale to Kotoka. I got home to meet you .... hmmmm.... As I watched you laid where you prayed daily... I couldn't cry...for i hoped you will just wake up and hug me... I loved you, I love you and forever will. I miss you so much... I still wake up hoping to be embraced in your warm hugs. That's one of the best feeling ever, to embrace and kiss you on the cheeks whenever I get home from my journeys. 
One can  only imagine what loosing you meant and how deep the pain is. Still I haven't enough words to describe what I went through. All I wanted was to be like you... humble, patient, confident, a true man of faith, a blessing to us all...you were just perfect and very amazing... if I had my life to live over, I would tell you this everyday.
I still hold on to that hoodie you bought for me at circle (the last day we were together) hoping I don't get cold on my travel to University for Development Studies- Navrongo campus.
I'm graduate now dad. Bsc. Actuarial Science, I didn't become a doctor but I'm happy and I love what I'm. What I want now more than anything is to look you in the face and tell you how grateful I'm that you never gave up on me. You're the best thing that has happened to me dad. May Allah's eternal peace, unending blessings, unbiased mercy and His bountiful grace rest with you now and always.
To end this piece, I repeat the words Gobber said at Stoick's funeral before Hiccup became chief in the animated movie - How to train your dragon 2,
"May the valkyries welcome you and lead you through Odin's great battlefield. May they sing your name with love and fury, so that we might hear it rise from the depths of Valhalla and know that you've taken your rightful place at the table of kings. For a great man has fallen: A warrior. A chieftain. A father. A friend."
I am Rasgony TheAlpha

Comments

  1. Masha Allah
    I love ur diction and expression style
    May his soul rest in perfect peace
    Ameen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't have written any better about Dad. Goose bumps all over my body wallahi. May Allah grant him a token of Jannah out of his bountiful mercies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear my boss, Rasgony,
    I wish I had more than enough words like u do...
    I would've consoled you from North to South.
    Take heart....only Allah knows best.
    Indeed!!....a legend has fallen!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts